New music: Se7en - Them girls

New music: Se7en - Them girlsKorean pop star Se7en has been embarking on a US debut for ages. But it finally seems that it could well happen, with the launch of a new myspace page and a new song! Se7en's tentative debut U.S single is called "Them girls" and is produced by Rodney 'Darkchild' Jerkins. I warn you now that Rodney Jerkins talks shit at the start of the song and that he is auto-tuned. I figured songs which feature auto-tune should come with warnings, so there you go!

Listen: Se7en - Them girls
Se7en's forthcoming debut english language album
© 2008 YG entertainment

The song isn't bad, but it's so throwaway and is such an anybody song that I can't see it blowing up or catching major attention. Rodney could've come so much better than this. Just when I go and praise a n***a for coming so correct with Brandy's "Right here (Departed)" he then drops this throwaway nonsense. Se7en is mad talented, but he needs to come better if he wants to have a successful career in the West. These 'I'm looking for a chick to ride' and 'I want p***y every day of the week' songs are so played out. If you're gonna tow that line then at least come creative with the songwriting. Se7en's english singing voice is decent though, I'll give him that. The vocal production was tight, Se7en worked the song and I do like his swagger. His leigon of female Korean fans won't be loving that "Babe, I'm kinda like MJ, I like 'em black or white!" line though. They're gonna feel sidelined and betrayed, I'm sure.

Se7en has worked with Rodney Jerkins, Rich Harrison and Three 6 Mafia on his US debut album, although if it'll see the light of day is another matter entirely. He recorded a remix of Amerie's "Take control" in a bid to secure some U.S stardom last year, but that shit went straight under and off the radar. Amerie is half Korean, so I can see the connection. But he really should've sided with somebody better if he wanted to make it in the states. Amerie wasn't the best choice given her album Because I love it was doing really badly at the time.

Artists from Korea and Japan tend not to make it big in the West. Many have tried and failed. Talent and how big you are in your home country does not factor into anything at all. It'll be interesting to see how Se7en fares.

2 comments:

  1. Artists from Korea and Japan tend not to make it big in the West.

    :(

    I don't even know how Hikki sold over here, but I hope she releases some new English material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His leigon of female Korean fans won't be loving that "Babe, I'm kinda like MJ, I like 'em black or white!" line though.

    Not really. I haven't read any complaints about that line on Korean boards like Bestiz and such. If anything, it's sort of broad kind of topic. Like talking about opposites, which may even reference to all backgrounds in general. Also, I believe that's that an actual Michael Jackson song.

    Yeah, the lyrics could have been better. I heard there's gonna be a remix of the song, so I hope all works out for Se7en.

    Promotion is hella important though. Other Asian artists in the States were barely marketed which is one of the reasons why they didn't stand out. So his company definitely needs to support him 110% to get noticed.

    ReplyDelete

HTML tags for bold, italic and hyperlinks are allowed