VMA 2008: Lord of the rings - Fellowship of the promise ring

Russell Brand and the promise ringsI have to give my 2 pence on the whole 'what Russell said about the Jonas brothers' promise rings' situation. First off, I'll say I was DYING when Russell Brand took it to the Jonas brothers and their promise rings. Especially the bit where he said he was going to be collecting them by the end of the night. It's ridiculous how people are getting twisted about what Russell said about them and Jordin's reaction to it just showed: it's a UK humour thing. I thought what Russell said was funny and didn't feel he was being disrespectful. Jordin got it twisted. Her saying not wearing a promise ring makes you slut surely isn't any better than what she felt was disrespectful about what Russell had said.

I commend the Jonas Brothers commitment for wearing their rings openly. But we all remember the whole Britney 'I won't have sex until marriage' crap don't we!? If you don't believe in sex before marriage, that's absolutely fine. But by being popular in the pop game and declaring it - you're only setting yourself up for the fall for when you go and have pre-marital sex. No one would care whether any of the Jonas brothers had sex before marriage or not. But by declaring they won't, they've made it an issue themselves. A ring is a ring - it's not a legally binding contract or a super natural shield. Does anybody really think for a second that in the heat of the moment that one of the Jonas brothers is gonna stand up, run to the corner of the room to collect his clothes, face his partner on the bed, stand there with his erect penis and say "I can't have sex with you! My promise ring says no!" Hell naww!! Wearing a promise ring doesn't make the Jonas brothers any better of a role model than somebody who doesn't. But that's just my personal opinion. I hope for the Jonas's brothers' sakes that their family and friends don't chastise and crucify them when they go and put pussy before God. Because at least one of those brothers is going to go and do it.

There is NOTHING wrong with the 'no sex before marriage' dealio. And no doubt many think the Jonas brothers are good role models - and kinda rightly so. But these same people who are hating on Russell for what he said are not doubt going to be the same people who call out a Jonas brother and shoot him down when he has pre-marital sex. I'm not saying old values are dead, but it's 2008 and we have to be realistic. It's a situation where nobody will win. If a Jonas brother hits 27 and is not married by then or even in a relationship, people will call him out as gay. If a Jonas brother goes and has sex tomorrow, he'll get called a liar and a betrayer of God.

Comments

  1. I personally thought Brand was hilarious, and I was loving every thumbs down I gave to all the comments on youtube talking about how mean he was to the Jonas Brothers. He's a freakin' comedian, it was a joke that went the entire show yes, but still a joke!

    Does anybody really think for a second that in the heat of the moment that one of the Jonas brothers is gonna stand up, run to the corner of the room to collect his clothes, face his partner on the bed, stand there with his erect penis and say "I can't have sex with you! My promise ring says no!"

    lol, exactly!

    Koobs said he hates the guy, but I don't know, maybe it's because he's new to me, but I think he's funny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

HTML tags for bold, italic and hyperlinks are allowed