New music: Lady Gaga - Judas

"Born this way" divided many and f**ked itself on the spoke of the fence it sat on by being a song with a simple self empowered message that we'd not really gotten from Gaga before, and being a blatant rip off of Madonna's "Express yourself". Where-as follow up "Judas" is very much Gaga through and through.

Listen: Judas

Born this way
© 2011 Interscope records, Universal music group / Kon Live distribution

It's a weird mix of being safe, yet trying too hard to be big and controversial, yet a wonderment of if she really tried at all. You'd have to be deaf to not hear that "Judas" is pretty much "Bad romance" with hints of Kylie's "Better the devil you know". And of course, the added lyrical waxing of religious connotations to ruffle feathers in case all else fails. Familiar and controversial. Kind of genius in a way, but also common denominated in another.

I'm not entirely sure how much I really like this song yet. I always have to be overexposed to Gaga's singles before I truly start to like them, and I'm sure Gaga will overexpose the hell out of "Judas". But I do love the production. It switches up nicely in all the right places and I especially love the vibe on the chorus.

I would say that this should have been the lead single, as it's a much stronger song than "Born this way". But then again, "Born this way" did everything it needed to do. And now Lady Gaga can get back to business as usual.

This is going to be a big hit whether you like it or not, so you may as well get used to hearing this shit around. It'll be interesting to see what she brings for the video, seeing as she pretty much gang-banged religion in the one she shot for "Alejandro".


  1. I hate this song safe the instrumentals since it is really good

    But the song itself is stupid and the lyrics try too hard to be controversial and engaging but it is full of cliched things that people say to make themselves sound smart like "king with no crown"... well it will sell and her dumbass fans will think she is some genius songwriter on Lennon's level.

    Sigh this song represents everything I hate about today's american music industry.. the need to make an impact instead of making music

    Oh and her voice is really safe and boring like I haven't heard a song of hers where she hits high notes

  2. This song is exactly what the fans want, and It will, of course, top the charts. It's definitely better than Born This Way, but I'm not a whatever.

  3. Oh and her voice is really safe and boring like I haven't heard a song of hers where she hits high notes

    I like this logic. A person's voice is boring if they don't hit high notes.

    On a serious note, I'm with you on this J. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. I love the production and the hook(s) but it's kind of a weird song that I can't really get a hold of...if that makes sense.

    I'm sure it'll make a killing.

  4. It reminds me too much of Bad Romance :/

  5. Judas sounds a lot like Bad Romance, it has the exact same musical structure as the other song.

  6. Does she always have to say her name in her songs? I'm not a fan so I don't know her stuff that well but of the songs I've heard she always says her name in them.


HTML tags for bold, italic and hyperlinks are allowed