Music video: Angela Aki - Tsugaru kaikyo fuyugeshiki


This song may sound familiar to some and stink of enka. That's because it is. It's a cover of Sayuri Ishikawa's song of the same name. And d'ya know what? I f**king love it. This could easily be a James Bond theme.

It's no secret that Angela Aki has a strong voice with beautiful clarity on her, but her vocals really shine with this song - pushing for notes and throwing in a few acrobatics that you tend not to hear from her normally.

I even liked the video. Really simple. Although I'm surprised UNIQLO didn't strangle a bitch and force her to wear a Merino sweater in the video, given she's the face of their campaign in Japan.

The only other artist whom I can think of who would go and release an enka cover as a single with production this simple and stripped back is Hikaru Utada. Which is exactly why I dig this woman. She's such a breath of fresh air. And this shits ALL over her past couple of singles.

1 comment:

  1. I love this woman. Another great talent! I was waiting for her to release a single that I could really latch on to! this song is great. I love it. I love how she went for higher notes, because as you stated, she usually sings in a very fixed vocal range. I always love her covers, and some I prefer to the originals. Her last singles may not have been as good from her upcoming album, but I LOVE the cover of creep she did. She put an interesting spin on the original, and it worked really well IMO.

    ReplyDelete

HTML tags for bold, italic and hyperlinks are allowed