Random J pop playlist: It's Mariah, dahling

Random J pop playlist: It's Mariah, dahling | Random J Pop

I was at a gay gathering and was talking to a friend of a friend of a friend who was the boyfriend of some other friend who works with the person who was throwing the party. He mentioned he was into pop music at a geek type level, so of course I took a sip of my drink and sat my ass down for discussions and debates. As we were shooting the shit, the subject turned to Mariah Carey and he said that he wasn't too familiar with her stuff outside of some of her singles. I could have chastised him for being a basic white gay (he stans Lady Gaga), but then it dawned on me that it's probably a common thing that not a lot of people are aware of Mariah's discography outside of the likes of "Hero", her cover of "Without you" and "All I want for Christmas is you".

Mariah's never really promoted her shit as hard as some of her peers. She's never toured all that much or always been that face on the cover of every magazine. Despite all of the accolades, the breaking of records, her legacy and going down in music history - her character has become bigger than her music. Mariah's personality and her antics are wider known than her music.

So with this, I told him that I was going to create him a playlist of some of her good shit, which features a couple of Mariah's better known hits, but mainly focuses on the deep cuts. And now I'm sharing it with you.

Man, I wish Glitter were available for streaming. Let it be known that half that album would be on this playlist if it were.

🔊 Mariah, dahling: Spotify | Google Play music

Comments