Music video: Solange serves us Black to the future in "Almeda"

Music video: Solange serves us Black to the future in "Almeda" | Random J Pop

After the lo-fi web cam booty popping shenanigans of "Binz", "Almeda" is more of the Solange aesthetic that we got from the visuals of her breakthrough full length A seat at the table. Ya'll know what this means. Lots of prayer circles, folk standing on cubes, slow zoom outs on buildings, a washed out look and a bit of fashion being served.


In my head, the back story and plot of this video is as follows.

Crystal bead wig man: Solange.

Solange: Who are you?

Crystal bead wig man: I am Brotha time. I need you to go back in time and correct over overwriting of our people.

Solange: Yes brother. But how will I go back in time?

Brotha time: I have a car park full of DeLorean's out back. They can transport you back in time.

*Solange travels back in time*

Solange: I'm the captain now.

*Black cowboys and black women with their sculptured hair and long ass nails run rampant through the timeline*

Despite Solange's star only truly shining from 2016 with the release of A seat at the table, she's been in the game for just over 15 years and has been through a lot in that time. Constantly being caught between appealing to the pop charts, appealing to her heart and dealing with the expectation that came from being Beyoncé's sister. And in the midst of that she navigating motherhood and marriage at a very young age. So to see Solange come out of the other side with a such a strong and clear identity within not just music, but life in general is wonderful to see. Especially as a black woman, who is often placed into boxes, typecast and has a perception projected onto their being just based on them being a black woman alone and nothing else. "Almeda" feels like a fuck you to all of that and I'm here for it.

Let Solange release all the videos.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about When I get home just yet. But what I am sure of is that Solange is that bitch and that Tina Knowles' pussy is powerful. Like, Final Fantasy final boss style powerful.

Comments