BLACKPINK's "Kill this love" has me wondering about ya'll

BLACKPINK's "Kill this love" has me wondering about ya'll | Random J Pop

Now, I don't post as much on K-Pop as I used to, because I kind fell out of love with it. But BLACKPINK have been blowing up the Internet with their comeback song "Kill this love" to such an extent that I wasn't able to avoid it and wouldn't have been able to if I tried. Their PR could not be going any better and their brand could not be better primed for their Coachella performance on April 12 and 19th.

I've not really been here for BLACKPINK the way I was for say 2NE1 when they first debuted and had all of their comebacks. That said, I've still listened to some of their music and checked their shit out. And I have to say, "Kill this love" isn't that good. I'm sure the Blinks will have things to say about that, but PSSSSSSSSSCH! I said what I said and it's how I feel. The song is generic as hell. It was popular idol groups constantly trotting out songs with this type of sound and look that made me fall out of following K-Pop heavy in the first place.

If you like "Kill this love", then great. I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I guess I'm just having a moment over all of the amazing songs that have come out of K-Pop comebacks that weren't given the platform or received the love that "Kill this love" is getting. I can't help but wonder whether its because of the quality of the song and what BLACKPINK are delivering or if K-Pop fandom across the globe is completely based on a zeitgeist of liking something just to be seen to like something for popularity sake.


The Hallyu wave is in a level of effect that I never thought it would be after it failed to really catch on globally circa 2010 - 2011 when we were all dead certain that it truly would. It's wild to me that "Kill this love" is causing such hysteria online. Even taking comparisons from other groups out of the equation; BLACKPINK themselves have given us much better songs than this. But "Kill this love" is the one breaking YouTube records that were once set by Ariana 'Vanilla latte' Grande. And I know CL is in her feelings that BLACKPINK are enjoying a level of success that 2NE1 should and could have had. Because let's face it. "Kill this love" could easily have been a 2NE1 song. And I'll say this now. Their comeback songs were all better than it.

K-Pop has become a commodity that's become cool to talk about, because it's cool to talk about. So I just hope that the selection of talent, songs that go the distance and the curation of what's hot and what's not is not just built on a trending machine. Because K-Pop has more to offer than just BTS and BLACKPINK. But if artists like BTS and BLACKPINK can open the gateway for other K-Pop acts to come through and have their music be heard on a global scale, then that's something and that's great. But that would mean fuelling all of the machines, not just the biggest ones that everybody says that they like.

Comments