Jidenna goes back to where he came from, with 85 to Africa

Jidenna goes back to where he came from, with 85 to Africa | Random J Pop

Last I saw or heard of Jidenna was during a guest appearance in Netflix's Luke Cage and his stint in season 1 of HBO's Insecure where he played a piece of shit who hooked up with fellow piece of shit Molly, played by the Jollof Princess that is Yvonne Orji. Other than that, I've not really heard nor seen much from Jidenna. The last song of his I can recall is "Classic man" and he released a WHOLE damn album since that dropped.

So new music feels like the first thing Jidenna has done in AGES to me. And it may as well be, given the narrative of his upcoming album and the trailer which precedes it.


When Jidenna retold that story of being thrown out of his mansion, my mind went straight to that episode of The Boondocks where Thugnificent is on the verge of getting evicted. I know my trash ass is wrong for that. But it was the first thing my mind went to, right before 'Oh shit, that's terrible'.

Usually when we hear about a rapper being thrown out of his mansion, it's because of mishandled finances; cars, grills and jewellery, instead of tax and mortgage payments. It's basically their own fault. Never have I heard of an instance where a rapper was thrown out because he was scammed by somebody else. But it's very timely that this is something that Jidenna is bringing to light now. It speaks to the #BlackLivesDontMatter that we've been seeing more than ever since Oompa weave piece became president.

No doubt that Jidenna will address such things on this upcoming album, and serve us blickitty-black visuals to go along with it.

I'm here for it.

Two new songs from the forthcoming 85 to Africa "Tribe" and "Sufi woman" are available on all the usual streaming platforms.

Jidenna @ Spotify | Apple music | Google Play music

Comments