Yuna's dumping-the-fiancé jam "(Not) The love of my life"

Yuna shuts down marriage with "(Not) The love of my life" | Random J Pop

Malaysian Pop star Yuna is here to give us a smooth R&B jam with a message.

I don't love you. So I'mma just go now.

"(Not) The love of my life" is a song about going into marriage for the wrong reasons, and making the right decision at the last minute. We've seen wedding jilts played out in many a movie, TV show and music video. But Yuna taking on the subject matter as a married Muslim woman gives this some cultural weight. As does the decision to have the story play out via a traditional Indian wedding.

And she directed this shit herself.

'Kay. Go off then.


Let's just get the Elephant out of the room. Yuna knows what's up and was sure to address depicting and adopting a culture other than her own for her music video.
["(Not) The love of my life"] tells a story of a bride in the midst of getting ready for her wedding but is second guessing her decision to settle down. I went back to Malaysia and wanted to collaborate again with my friend and traditional Indian choreographer Harshini Sukumaran whom I’ve worked with in the Forevermore music video. I was also blessed to have collaborated with other talents and business owners, who live and breathe within the Indian wedding industry, as they help me breathe so much beauty and insight in what we were creating. 
Back home we all partake in each other’s culture in a very loving and respectful way which I feel is very unique.. and in ["(Not) The love of my life"] I was very blessed to be able to share that part of my life with the world. I’m not the main star of this video, they are. I’m so happy that I got the opportunity to direct my first music video, but it would not be possible without the consultation, support, and most importantly, love from the Malaysian Indian community.
The music video really elevates this song, because it gives it what could be viewed as a whole other context, which is that of arranged marriages; a core part of many cultures. Marriage entered into out of love for family and / or Faith, with a hope that you'll actually fall in love with this other person if you haven't by the point you're due to marry.

It's a beautifully shot video, with an aesthetic that compliments the throwback R&B 'n' Sade vibes of the song perfectly. A song that I can't help but think that Jessie Ware would have absolutely killed.

"(Not) The love of my life" is the 4th single from Yuna's 4th studio album Rogue, which is available now physically and digitally on all streaming platforms. It's a really nice album and one I'll probably review at some point. But you know how I am when I say that I'mma a review something. There's a 30 / 70 chance of it actually happening.

Listen to Yuna's album, Rogue: Apple music | Spotify | Google Play Music

Comments