Selena Gomez serves not very much with "Look at her now" and "Lose you to love me"

Selena Gomez serves nothing with "Look at her now" and "Lose you to love me" | Random J Pop

I wasn't going to post this. But here we are.

Selena Gomez has made a comeback and dropped two new songs: "Lose you to love me" and "Look at her now". Both of which feature the songwriting talents of regular Gomez collaborators Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter. Both of whom became better known as a result of their work on Selena Gomez's second studio album Revival, and went on to pen a shit load of hit songs after, as a result.

"Look at her now" is the more dance-able song of the two. And I'm pressed, because this is a good song. But I would have liked it more had somebody else done it, because Selena does nothing for it. I could imagine 2016 Rihanna or a swaggy K-Pop group killing this. Even that solo Fifth Harmony girl would have done a justice to this.


Selena just doesn't bring anything to the track. She doesn't bring anything to...anything really. It's why I've never been able to really get into her music. Good beats and good songwriting isn't always enough to win me over. Not when a type of vocal is needed to really elevate the song and bring it to life.

Selena doesn't even serve in the music video. There is a routine featured throughout, but it's cut so damn much and sped up in places, that's it's hard to follow the damn thing. Probably because a bitch can't dance. Which begs the question: Why make her dance in the first place?

"Lose you to love me" on the other hand is a much slower, more sombre song. But it's the same shit. A really good song that would have been far better in the hands of an artist that can sell it better.


This either vocals or a singer who can bring the emotion of the song to life vocally, or both. The first time I heard this song, my immediate reaction was Caroline Polacheck would have owned the absolute shit out of this song. Sia also would have done wonders with this. Adele would have done the damn thing. I mean, shit. Even an auto-tuned Charli XCX would have done SOMETHING with this.

Damn.

Everything about Selena as an artist is just so average. But I do get why this has an appeal. There is something to be said for a regular looking girl who isn't exceptional managing to have this full blown music career. Girls who perhaps feel they don't have 2000 Britney's 'it' factor, Ariana's voice or Beyoncé's performance flair still feel that they can make it. But, in a game where there are so many artists giving it to us, and as somebody who is into J-Pop and checks into K-Pop, where acts really be pushing the serve factor, Selena just doesn't quite cut it for me. But she seems like a really sweet girl who has her head screwed on right. I actually enjoy interviews with her because she engages and has points of view on things. But then she opens her mouth to sing and I just wanna hear somebody else.

Comments