Joy Crookes drops a culture mashup and some Amy Winehouse in "Feet Don't Fail Me Now"

Joy Crookes drops a culture mashup and some Amy Winehouse in "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" | Random J Pop

My description of UK singer / songwriter Joy Crooke's "Feel Don't Fail Me Now" is gonna have you think 'What in the fuck!?'. It's also pointless given I could just say 'Watch the video below', which you're probabaly gonna do anyway if you're reading this. But humour me and let me try and set some type of scene for you. Think...the visual aesthetics of Solange, with fusions of Black and Bengali cultures and the sound of Amy Winehouse during Back to Black.

The intersection of cultures in this video was so striking. The Bengali fashions with Black influenced twists, with a bit of Black queerness, a sense of blood family, chosen family, and an unmistakably London backdrop. It all felt so familiar, yet like a fantasy - which is probabaly because I've barely been outside for over a year. But as a Londoner, this video felt like a great representation of London. At least the London that I've always known.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma go play Amy Winehouse's Back to Black as I lay down, stare at the ceiling and think about the day I'm fully vaccinated.

Comments