Twice present Ada Wong in the Multwiverse of Madness, with “Talk That Talk”

A screen shot from Twice’s music video for “Talk That Talk”. Featuring all 9 members of Twice posing in red and black outfits in a shot where the colour channels all bleed out slightly, as though you’re looking at a 3D image without 3D glasses.

Twice released a new song. I don’t follow everything Twice consistently, but the tweet of their new song intrigued me, because it featured a photo where Naeyeon was dressed like Ada Wong, with the other members of the group looking like Ada Wong Variants. Ada Wong in the Multwiverse of Madness was enough of a sell for me to check out the song. And I’m glad that I did, because JYP and Twice did some things, and taught some bitches a lesson or two.

My bar when it comes to K-pop is low these days. And it’s not that it’s just bad or even worse than what it was. I think that the volume of how much K-pop is putting out that makes it difficult for me to keep up with and stay plugged into it; so I end up missing a lot of the good stuff, because you really do have to dig for it now. Where-as with earlier generations, the output was still high, but you had a whole lot less acts, so it was easier to find the good stuff. And there seemed to be better quality control back in the olden days. I guess you could say the same of any other genre of music now though. There’s a lot of over saturation across the board.

A screenshot from Twice’s music video for “Talk That Talk”. Featuring all 9 members mid-dance, wearing light blue and pastel outfits in a setting that looks like a retro virtual reality space.
Twice - Talk That Talk | © 2022 JYP Entertainment

Blackpink and Girls’ Generation phoning in their comebacks also left me a bit jaded, and justified my mindset of ‘See, this is why I don’t check into K-pop how I used to’. And I don’t even know why, because I’ve never had any high expectations for either of these groups. But I guess this is a reminder that you really do have to look beyond the usual suspect girl groups, and to not just follow the acts who can trend on Twitter, or the ones that white journalists dedicate most of their time to. Because Twice gave a whole lot of what Girls’ Generation shoulda gave. And had me lean into them in a way that Blackpink’s “Pink Venom” should have. And Twice even came for Aespa’s necks with their whole alternate reality, avatar, metaverse, VR, Y2K foolery. And yet it feels like so few people are talking about Twice’s “Talk That Talk” comparatively. Although the YouTube views for “Talk That Talk” are through the roof, so people definitely know about it.

I guess this is a notice for myself to try and look through the K-pop noise. 

“Talk That Talk” is lifted from Twice’s album EP Between 1&2. And if you liked this song and want another good recommendation, hit up the fourth track “Trouble”.



💿 Album review: Eyes Wide Open

Comments