These-muthafuckas-ain’t-stopping-Bree, because she is “That Girl”

Bree Runway shot in close-up, framing her head with her hands, whilst wearing long leather gloves, and her hair tied in dread ponytails, with the ends dyed light blue.

Bree Runway’s last single “Somebody Like You” was paid absolute Blip dust, and I was and STILL remain pressed about it. Not only did Bree show an amazing amount of range going into that song off the back of “Hot Hot” and “Pressure”, but it was quite simply a great song. BUT. It was released at the wrong time. The start of Spring was not the time to release a Phil Collins, Kate Bush sounding-ass synth power ballad.

And speaking of Kate Bush, Bree probably could have made an attempt to push “Somebody Like You” during the popularity peak of “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)” as a result of Stranger Things 4, because the vibes between the two songs are so similar, and it was a wholly younger generation who were discovering that song for the first time. A generation that I think would and could warm to somebody like Bree Runway. But because people be terrible online, I’m sure Bree woulda been dragged for copying Kate Bush, or trying to capitalise on a moment which belongs to Kate and Stranger Things.

But maybe “Somebody Like You” will have it’s moment further down the line. Just look at “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)”. Becoming a huge hit decades after its original release.

The first time I heard “That Girl”, my immediate reaction was that it reminded me a WHOLE lot of Azealia Banks, and I wondered what she’d think of it if she heard it. You honestly can’t guess what Azealia will think about anything. She could either be really flattered and love a song, or she could post an Instagram story calling Bree all types of plagiarist.

The Azealia Banks comparison is very obvious to me. But I do really like the song because *Turns away and lowers speaking volume* I do like Azealia Banks’ music. And “That Girl” is just a really good song which makes you feel exactly how the song is supposed to make you feel, which is like THAT girl.

PLEASE-MUTHAFUCKAS-AIN’T-STOPPIN’-ME!

When I initially saw the 2 minute and 1 second runtime, I screwed up my face in disgust. But then I listened to the song and thought ‘That works’. I can’t think of what else the song could have done or featured. I didn’t feel that the song was lacking or short-changed. “That Girl” being longer would have just become a longer song for the sake of being longer.

Hopefully “That Girl” gains traction, because it could pop in so many different things, in so many places. Clubs. Fashion shows. Drag performances. TV commercials. Films. TV shows.

The one thing I really like about these singles we’ve gotten from Bree since “Hot Hot”, is that they really speak to the kind of artist Bree Runway is when you put them side by side. She’s not just another pretty rap girl. She’s a pop star in the making. And as is the case with an artist like Rina Sawayama, and as was the case with *cough* Azealia Banks, no matter what they come out with and how amazing it is, there’s always a sense that you know they’re going to switch gears and come for your wig again in a few months time.

Comments