Carly Rae Jepsen's "Party for one" is a party for all

Carly Rae Jepsen's "Party for one" is a party for all | Random J Pop

Carly Rae Jepsen has returned with a brand new song "Party for one". Shady potential comments about the song title aside, this is a welcomed return from one of Pop's most unproblematic stars. One that many thought would not be able to live beyond the breakout success of "Call me maybe".


Now, I know "Party for one" is a kiss-off song. But the video extends the narrative beyond that of just 'I don't need a man to make me happy'. It shows lots of different depictions of being alone. Whether it's hiding, taking a breather, self pleasure, being your true self, finding your true self or just being alone for the sake of being alone. Everybody in this hotel is alone because they've chosen to be, but for entirely different reasons.

"Party for one" speaks to me ya'll and I'mma get a bit more personal for a minute and tell you why. I like spending time with friends, family and being around people. But I also really enjoy my own company. In fact, I fucking love it. Some people can't deal with being alone or being by themselves and can't fathom being home on a Friday or a Saturday night alone. But for me, it's bliss. I love me a party for one. I'm very comfortable with my own company and I love that we get a video that shows that being alone isn't always some awful thing.

Also, the song is a bop. And it was great to see Internet glow-ups Mark Kanemura and Parker Kit Hill in this video, along with an older woman showing off her body and sex positivity.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't low key looking forward to another album from Carly Rae Jepsen, because I really fucked with E•mo•tion Side B. "Roses" ya'll. A JAM.

Comments