Music video: Mariah Carey is the queen of public transport in "A no no"



Mariah did what we all asked her to and gave us a music video for "A no no". Now, I'm not gonna act like I love this video. I've watched it once and will probably never watch it again. But it's a cute video, and it's great to see Mariah accept her role as the MTA ambassador and the queen of public transport.



Mariah looks great. The dancers and extras look cool. Dem babies are adorable. I'm all for visual consistency, so the Caution colour palette being factored into the lighting, one of Mariah's outfits and even her damn eye shadow gets a thumbs up from me. I like that the video is just a whole ass vibe, but I do wish we had gotten a bit more. Asking for such is foolish, because...this is Mariah Carey. The Butterfly and Rainbow era of music videos is dead and gone. But still... I would have lived for a set-up where Mariah stepped onto the train platform and gave me some "Honey" style choreo and a few instances where we got depictions of what's being sung. Like...ya'll couldn't have gotten Mariah to sing ♪ Get me Ed Shapiro on the phone ♪ whilst holding a phone? Or one of the background chicks planking on the floor in a snakeskin catsuit? An Edward Scissorhands cosplayer? And I'm not sure what the deal is with using cuts of Mariah looking into a different camera. In about 80% of the shots when Miming Mimi was singing she was looking off camera. But she looked great and genuinely seemed to be having fun. And the addition of her signature whistles on the song was nice. Not necessary. But nice.

Hey. At least "A no no" got a fucking video. I've got my fingers crossed that we get a video for "The distance". And no. I don't care that it's old now. It's still a bop.

Random J Pop album review: Mariah is scalping. Proceed with Caution.
Random J Pop playlist: It's Mariah, dahling

Comments