Hear Perfume's new single "Saisei"

Hear Perfume's new single "Saisei" ("再生") | Random J Pop

As per what is now tradition, Perfume debuted their own song on their Perfume Locks radio show. And following tradition, that shit has hit the Internets and is available for fans to listen to...for now. Until Amuse start taking down YouTube uploads.


I've most certainly felt a type of way about Perfume's music for a while now. But my general thoughts as of late have been that Perfume have given us too many songs that sound like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu songs outright. Perfume used to have something of a sound that was theirs once Ami Suzuki and Meg started to work with producers other than Nakata and before Kyary really blew up.

Not now tho.

Yep. "Saisei", yet again, sounds like a Pussy Pam joint.

It burns me. Because every time Perfume drop a song that sounds like a Kyardi P joint, I always think that it would have sounded better had she just done the damn thing. And it's also a reality check that we're no closer to Nakata trying to give Perfume a sound that's theirs and reflective of what it should be at this stage in their careers and their lives.

I don't hate "Saisei". I actually think it's a really nice song. But the bar for quality when it comes to Nakata's songs these days is so fucking low that I don't know whether I'm crouching down to the bar or this song is genuinely that good.

The one thing I know for sure though, is that it's nice to hear a Perfume song with an actual chorus without any Future bass style beat drops, and to have some chord progressions. There's definitely a hint of old school JPN Perfume here. But I find "Saisei" odd to listen to. The song has these hard break points from the instrumental passages into the verses and then into the chorus, which make "Saisei" sound as though it's made up of random parts which weren't adjusted or refined to fit together to make a song that sounds a bit more cohesive. Maybe if certain sections of the song were in different keys or there were transitions between them, it would've helped.

I also wish Nakata had thrown in more guitars. An acoustic guitar hitting on that chorus would have really made it pop and made my wig budge. And as always, I could have done with hearing Nocchi and a-chan sing in their natural voices, both of which we get hints of here and there. And harmonies? Where are the harmonies!? Where my background singers?! It's only when I listen to Game and JPN now that I realise how much we actually got in the way of harmonies from Perfume. As basic, shrill and auto-tuned to death as they were.

Pray for an album mix.

Comments