Jessie Ware shows us what life is like when you prioritise dance and sex over home renovations, in "Hot N Heavy"

Jessie Ware shows us what life is like when you prioritise dance and sex over home renovations in "Hot 'n' Heavy" | Random J Pop

When I saw Jessie post this video, I was like 'Great. Another video in which Jessie doesn't feature'. But then I watched it, and I was like 'Okay. This shit was really good'. It's nice to finally have another music video off of What's Your Pleasure? which fully evokes the mood of the song itself, as we've been kinda of light on 'em as a result of the pandemic and now Jessie's pregnancy.

The music video for "Hot N Heavy" continues what has been a theme with the videos from What's Your Pleasure? - centring dance and queerness.

This music video did it for me y'all. The choreography and that the whole damn thing was shot in one take is wild. The physicality that dance at these high-ass levels requires never ceases to astound me. 

Jessie Ware's music videos over the past year has raised the question for me of how vital it is that an artist features in their own music video? When you're a singer or a pop star, visuals which include you centred in them is the package that we all expect. But when you're a group or an act who is primarily producing and has guest artists (i.e Daft Punk, Calvin Harris, Kaytranada, The Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx) we don't expect them to feature in their music videos at all. I don't think we'll ever see this huge shift where pop stars are like 'Fuck it, I'm not appearing in all of my music videos'. Especially those whose brand is built on their appearance. But seeing what Jessie's kinda had to do with her music videos out of necessity made me think.

My only gripe with Jessie not appearing in these music videos is that I think it was also a way for her to really live out her pop star fantasy and get to truly revel in this world that she'd created for What's Your Pleasure?. Jessie had stepped into herself and delivered music that everybody adores, but we've not gotten a chance to see Jessie get to live the music out visually. Especially after a brilliant video like "Spotlight" and the tease we got of bolder Jessica in "What's Your Pleasure?". But the fact that everybody is smitten with the music she's putting out is the most important thing. And I've waffled on to basically say, I really fucking like this music video.

Comments