Todrick Hall channels The Weather Girls' with his wet gay jive "Rainin' Fellas"

Todrick Hall channels The Weather Girls' with his wet gay jive "Rainin' Fellas" | Random J Pop

It's Pride month. So of course the Harriet Tubman of the Black gay community released a new song, music video, and a new album. Todrick knows his windows and his target audience. I'll give him that.

The song itself is called "Raining Fellas", which is very much a 2000s take on The Weather Girls' "It's Raining Men", a song that is now considered a gay anthem with the gayest of videos.

Todrick Hall knows his references and how to write a catchy ass song. My head did bop. Todrick also has a great eye for visuals. I was impressed. This was a damn good music video with large scale production value, which is nice to see at the other side of a period where these types of music videos have been so far and between because Miss Corona decided she was gonna turn the world into the Hunger Games. But the one thing that put a pillow on the song and the video and smothered them both was the lack of representation. Not just in terms of colour, but body types too.

It's really clear at this point that Todrick doesn't care as much about representation as others would like him to. There were less Black men and folk of colour in this video than "I Like Boys" and "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels". This dude really went in reverse. And the one Black dancer in the naked-on-the-floor setup got played. They couldn't even let homie do another take where his face isn't screwed up like a baby who sucked on a lemon. The body type of prominent shades of guys in this video was giving me 'private island all tested negative multiple times' - which is what the default marketed image of 'Gay' and 'Pride' has been and continues to be, and I am beyond tired of it. 

I turned and looked into an imaginary camera when I heard ♫ Like 'em tall dark and handsome ♫. I'm not gon' say a thing about his Insta post announcement about his boyfriend. But undoubtedly some will make a commentary on the link between that, his choice of lyrics and how Todrick centres white gays in his work and his lack of representation in his music videos.

I think it's great that we're at a point in time where we can have openly queer Black pop stars releasing music, videos and enjoying success with huge fanbases who allow them to continue to enjoy a career. There are gays of all shades who will live for this video, and I don't think they're wrong to AT ALL. They should. I just think it's a shame that Todrick still isn't learning anything as he goes. But I could say the same for myself. I shoulda been learned that representation just isn't a priority for Todrick and I need to just be okay with that, and that he shouldn't be somebody that's looked to do it right.

HENNYWAY.

There's a song with Brandy on Todrick's new album Femuline which is cute. So if you like some Brandy like I do, go check it out.

Comments