Kelela returns from the Phantom Zone, with “Washed Away”

A shot of Kelela in her music video for “Washed Away”, shot in close up, about to remove her hat / headdress which mimics the hair style she had during the release of ‘Take Me Apart’..

Recently Kelela returned from her hiatus to post on her Twitter and her Instagram accounts for the first time in a LONG-ASS while. And she came armed with memes of fans asking where she is and what is going on. So it was clear a bitch was getting ready to drop some long-awaited new material. And drop it she did.

The fucking nerve of this bitch.

I had my whole day planned out. Then she drops a new song and music video, has my soul ascends for 3 minutes and 38 seconds, and now I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.

Rude.

A shot of Kelela in her music video for “Washed Away”, walking through shallow waters at sunset in a white dress and a head scarf.
Kelela - Washed Away | Directed by Yasser Abubeker

I’ve not got much to say about this song and video (he says as he proceeds to say much about this song and video) other than they are both absolutely gorgeous. The song itself sounds like if you took the intro to “Take Me Apart” and made a song out of just that. And the video is of a style that always plays in my mind every time I listen to “Enough”.

Kelela unveiled her bald head, looked right into the camera and said ‘This new music is gonna leave you looking just like this’. Then proceeded to walk around looking like Mother Nature.

I do wonder about the context of “Washed Away” and how it will sit on an album. Whether it will be an album intro, an interlude cut like “Jupiter” or “Bluff”, or if it will be a companion piece to whatever song is sequenced before or after it. “Washed Away” just feels like it’s A_PART *Looks into the camera and smirks* of something bigger. And because of this I don’t feel cheated. I like how vibey the whole thing is, and I still feel that “Washed Away” does have a beginning, a middle and not an end, but a ‘to be continued’. Regardless, the song is gorgeous. As is the video.



💿 Albums reviews: Take Me Apart | TAKE ME A_PART, THE REMIXES

Comments