JoJo covered Ariana Grande, Whitney Houston and D'Angelo, and then I did things to them.

JoJo covered Ariana Grande, Whitney Houston and D'Angelo, and then I did things to them. | Random J Pop

JoJo has been fighting the self-isolation boredom by hopping on Instagram live and singing covers. A bitch knows she can sing. We know a bitch can sing. But it's still a joy to watch and listen to her sing all the songs.

JoJo has covered Toni Braxton, Whitney Houston, D'Angelo and many more besides.She even covered an Ariana Grande song, which was probably a greater risk than taking on Whitney's "I Have Nothing", given how some of that fanbase be. I've already seen Ariana fans on Twitter being dismissive of JoJo's cover. Lawd knows why. Not only was JoJo respectful of the cover, but she sang the shit out of the song. So much so that I prefer her rendition of it to Ariana's. JoJo has a tone and a grit to her voice that carries not only the style of the song better, but the lyrics too.

In the wake of Miss Corona's Contamination world tour, JoJo also re-wrote the lyrics to her hit song "Leave (Get Out)" and flipped it into a song about self-isolating and staying your ass at home.

I'm not going to act like self-isolation has afforded me extra time, because I've been self-isolating since 2007. So I've found myself taking JoJo's Instagram live covers and putting them to instrumentals. I'd already done a thing with her cover of Toni Braxton's "Un-break My Heart", but decided to extend it to a couple of others.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did putting them together.


Stay In (Right Now)


Dangerous Woman | Originally performed by Ariana Grande


Untitled (How Does It Feel) | Originally performed by D'Angelo


I Have Nothing | Originally performed by Whitney Houston

JoJo really does need to consider doing a #LoveJo 3. Especially now that she's signed to a label and has her own. Giving us 8 new covers and those from #LoveJo and #LoveJo2 (those of which didn't get caught up in the copyright drama) and she'd have a great release on her hands.

As great as JoJo sounds singing her own material, she shines in a whole new way when she takes on other people's. Especially those by singers with range such as Whitney, as it pushes her to sing in a way that she never would on her own songs. I'm still shocked at just how good JoJo's voice is and the range that she has, because she isn't always flexing it on songs and her voice just seems to keep getting better.

If you haven't listened to #LoveJo, be sure to check it out. JoJo's cover of Anita Baker's "Caught Up In The Rapture" is fucking magic.

📝 Reviews: Can't Take That Away From Me | #LoveJo
💿 Special edition: The In-between: An album of unreleased material
🔙 Flashback: Leave (Get out)

Comments