JoJo releases a music video for "Small Things" and gives us production value

JoJo releases a music video for "Small Things" and gives us PRODUCTION VALUE | Random J Pop

When JoJo did her lil' thing at home for MTV and performed "Small Things" live for the first time, I adored it. And it's one of my favourites from her 4th studio album Good To Know. So it's good to know that JoJo and her label decided to give it a music video.

"Small Things" not the most day-time radio friendly song, but it still deserves a push as a promotional single. I could imagine it being a big hit on night-time radio stations like Magic FM. I don't know what y'alls equivalent is in the US or wherever you are, but Magic FM a station in the UK which plays a lot of old classics, slow numbers and Power ballads from the 80s, with new releases which can slot in. The best way I can describe it is throwback vibe radio, and "Small Things" would fit right in.


This is JoJo's second video to be directed by Santiago Salviche, with the first being "Comeback", which was most definitely shot in the midst of self-isolation from Miss Corona. But it was so well shot, and pretty much the kinda video that the song would've gotten regardless of when it was shot, that it didn't look like a complete 'let's make-do' type of music video at all. JoJo and Santiago work well together. Hopefully this'll be the start of a great working relationship.

To show that JoJo is the realest bitch and qualm any 'NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO RELEASE A MUSIC VIDEO' foolishness people had this to say, JoJo released the music video with this statement.
I've been trying to wait for the right moment to share this video with you. With everything going on in the world and in our own backyard, I didn’t want anyone to misconstrue its release as some kind of indication that I’ve moved on from the revolution at hand, here in America. I want to say it clear as day: Black people made me who I am. Not only my longest standing friendships, but also the record executives, mentors, teachers, romantic partners, and loyal fans who believed in me and took a chance on me - they have all shaped me. Without their support in every way, and without the artists who inspire me to make music, I would not exist. My support for Black lives/art/love/safety/freedom is not a phase nor does it have an expiration date. I’m honored to be a part of R&B culture and I never take my warm reception for granted.
JoJo's has had a sizeable Black fanbase since day one and they've (we've) stayed riding with her through the hits, bops, the silence and the flops. And JoJo's never been seen as problematic or pandering in anyway as some of her peers have been. J

When Kid Fury of The Read referred to JoJo as 'African American R&B singer JoJo', I felt that.

It's a real shame that Good To Know wasn't the album I wanted from JoJo, but as a fan I'm grateful she was able to put it out. And it's one of her only albums to date which has been promoted consistently, promoted well and managed to get itself four music videos and a world tour. I love to finally see it.

🎀 The audacity: JoJo singing the shit out of Toni Braxton, Ariana Grande and D'Angelo
πŸ“ Reviews: Can't Take That Away From Me | #LoveJo
πŸ’Ώ Special Edition: The In-between: An album of unreleased material
πŸ”™ Flashback: Leave (Get Out)

Comments