Rina Sawayama releases her maxi pad looking-ass visual for "Lucid"

Rina Sawayama releases her maxi pad looking-ass visual for "Lucid" | Random J Pop

Rina has released a video for her Sawayama deluxe edition cut, the masturbation bop for self-isolating lesbians "Lucid".

The music video was shot using extended reality technology from a creative team known as Bild Studios, who have done some amazing work for a bunch of big names and events. If you're a Perfume fan, then Bild studios is basically doing some of the cool visual shit that the Rhizomatiks do for Perfume's shows, but they're based in the UK.

The visuals were great. I live for CGI which is matched perfectly with on-set lighting and digital visuals, so that the end result doesn't look like it was very clearly shot on a green screen. But this video needed a stronger concept, and some dancing. The whole thing just felt like a commercial for maxi pads or a vibrator. 

I don't know what it is with Rina and music videos for her dance songs. "STFU", "XS" and "Bad Friend" all got good videos, whilst "Comme des Garçons (Like the Boys)" and "Lucid" got types of nonsense.

It's a shame, because a great video would have helped given "Lucid" some mileage for me personally, because I'm not a fan of the song at all. "Lucid" is not a Rina song you'll catch me playing. It's like a Chromatica remix of "Cherry". Great for fans of Chromatica. Unless, like myself, you weren't a fan of Chromatica. Also, compared to cuts on Sawayama and the other deluxe edition bonus tracks, it doesn't measure up.

In an interview with Vulture, Rina shared details on "Lucid", which explains why it is not of the quality sounds different to everything else on Sawayama, and why it ultimately didn't make the cut.
We started writing it in 2018, and the initial idea was that BloodPop would release it. But then, obviously, he got signed on to do Chromatica, and plans changed. It’s literally been sitting there in that form for about two years, which is so crazy. I don’t think I would have done that many sessions at that point, either. I had this instrumental, and I was so confused because I had no idea how to write to a dance record. I don’t think I’d written “Comme des Garçons” at that point.
So, I guess Chromatica sounds like "Lucid".

"Lucid" is dusty. But I hope Rina sees success with it. It's perfect fodder for radio, and the Chromatica connection will undoubtedly help it.

📻 Stream the deluxe edition of Sawayama: Spotify | Apple Music | Tidal
💿 Reviews: The LP: Sawayama | The EP: Rina

Comments