Random J Playlist: Beyoncé's Ballads

Random J Playlist: Beyoncé's Ballads | Random J Pop

It was Beyoncé's birthday the other day. My broke ass can't buy a gift, but it can make a bitch a playlist. But my weird ass didn't make a playlist of Beyoncé's bangers. It made a playlist of Beyoncé's ballads instead. Not exactly something that she's known for.

When Beyoncé released her third studio album I Am... Sasha Fierce back in 2008 she tried to show the world she could do pop / rock and ballads. And whilst I still think that album is a mess, Beyoncé's shot at getting a big ass hit pop ballad under her belt that everybody knows worked, because of one song.

God damned "Halo".

I was never keen on "Halo". But I liked it even less when songwriter, producer and One Republic frontman Ryan Tedder started giving its sound to everybody. Kelly Clarkson famously spoke out about how she felt about her Tedder penned and produced song "Already Gone" sounding exactly the damn same as Beyoncé's "Halo" - which it absolutely does.

Beyoncé doesn't have a great deal of big ballads in her arsenal, which is fine. She was never that kind of artist. Although I've always felt that Pimp Daddy Mathew Knowles should have really pushed for Destiny's Child to have had a couple of smash hit ballads and that Beyoncé should have had more than one. Destiny's Child and Beyoncé both had potentials. The song "Brown Eyes" on Destiny's Child's Survivor album could have been a smash hit around the world, and not just in the Philippines, where folk apparently lived for the song. And one of these days we gon' get justice for "Smash Into You".

I cheated a little with this playlist by including the Frank Ocean penned "I Miss You", but I don't fucking care. That's a great song right there, and it's slow enough, so I'm including it. 

💿 Beyoncé album reviews: The Lion King: The Gift | Lemonade | Beyoncé | 4 | I Am... Sasha Fierce | B'Day
💿 Destiny's Child album review: Survivor

Comments