Mashup: Beyoncé x Girls’ Generation - Church Girl

A pile of colourful floppy discs. With one pink disc with a label on it, which features the cover art of my Beyoncé x Girls’ Generation mashup. The cover art of which features a shot of Beyoncé in a lace dress, with her arms outstretched in front of a wall of stained glass windows.

I always try to present my mashups with some kind of story of how they came about, but rarely is there one. Or at least an interesting. A lot of times an idea pops into my head, I’m like ‘Hmmm’, then I try it out and then ‘Whooop. There it is.’ And this one was no different. Although today is an apt day for me to share this mashup. Given that it features Girls’ Generation’s “Gee”, and today marks the 15th anniversary of it.

“Church Girl” is one of my favourite songs on Renaissance. From my first listen of that album, it was a song that I immediately was obsessed with. It’s a funny old one. Because it IS a silly and ridiculous song, and yet I know that it represents something more and speaks to so many Black women and those in the LGBTYONCE+ who came up in the church and have a strange relationship with it. And I think that’s the magic of the song. It’s each of those things equally. It is silly and ridiculous and feel good, but it has meaning and significance too, in that it makes people feel seen; which I think is the case with a whole bunch of songs on Renaissance.

HENNYWAY.

All this to say, that how fun and ridiculous the song was is why I felt no hesitatation when the idea came to me to mix it with Girls’ Generation’s “Gee”. Not that I ever would hesitate. Because, what do I have to lose!? Also, I’ve mixed songs from Super Mario with “My Neck, My Back (Lick It)” and “WAP”. So I’ll truly mashup any-damn-thing. But something about mashing up “Church Girl” and “Gee” still managed to retain the essence of the original. At least to me. It’s fun, but still earnest. But most importantly, you can still shake your ass to it.


Comments