Music video: Hyoyeon’s in too “Deep”, in her solo outing ‘Spider-Woman: No Way Hyo’

Hyoyeon’s in too “Deep”, in her solo outing Spider-Woman: No Way Hyo | Random J Pop

When SM Entertainment posted a teaser from the Girls’ Generation social accounts, the Internet (me included) wondered if it meant that a Girls’ Generation comeback was on the way. We played ourselves entertaining such mess. Although the timing of the post coming so soon after 2NE1’s appearance at Coachella did fuel the fire, and I’m sure SM knew it would. But as some had figured, it was just a teaser for a new release from ex Girls’ Generation member Hyoyeon, who now goes just be Hyo.

I feel for her Hyoyeon. Because when the cat was out of the bag that it was just some mini album from her, I’m sure lots of people just sighed and logged out.

Hyoyeon looks good in the music video. The Spider-woman concept is cool. The song...is just okay. There’s nothing about it that really sticks out from what we’ve gotten from Hyoyeon  before, or a lot of what these K-pop ‘rap’ girls are putting out. I think the first half of the chorus is fire. But that’s really it. “Deep” isn’t a bad song. It’s just not something that will stick and be remembered in a couple of weeks. And title tracks that don’t stick for shit is isn’t something which is exclusive to Hyoyeon. With Taeyeon’s solo material, it’s the same shit. She released an album 2 months ago. I heard the title track once, and I cannot remember ANYTHING about that song.

I’m actually surprised that SM even bothered giving Hyoyeon a follow-up to “Dessert”. For a LONG while it seemed like SM didn’t care about any member of Girls’ Generation but Taeyeon. But here they are, genuinely trying to make Hyoyeon happen with this new song, coming off the back of her stint in GOT the Beat. (I still want somebody to tell me what the point in that group was). But at least Hyoyeon is putting out SOMETHING. Unlike Sunny, who seems fine with just laminating trainee passes at SM Entertainment HQ until retirement.



💿 Girls’ Generation album reviews: Holiday Night | I Got a Boy | Girls & Peace | Girls’ Generation

Comments