Bree Runway dips back into her pop girl bag for “Be the One”, with an assist from Khalid

Bree Runway and Khalid on the set of “Be the One”, in the middle of a desert. With Bree stood behind Khalid, resting on his shoulder.

Bree Runway has released a new song, and there is not a single rap in this bitch. I like rapping Bree. I truly do. But her singing and giving me pop is the Bree I favour, and it’s in part because Bree is so selective with when she shows this side of herself - which is smart. Because if Bree sang and did pop all the time, it would lessen the impact of when she did do it. Kinda like Missy and singing. Her singing on songs always hit because she did it sparingly.

HENNYWAY.

Back to the Bree’s song. It features Khalid. The guy who ends up on everybody’s songs, despite there being options of male singers who would be far better suited.

Bree was really trying to be physical and show some form of connection with Khalid for the camera, and Khalid was giving nothing. Maybe he’s not comfortable with being touched, and that’s fine. I get it. I feel a type of way about people I don’t know try’na hug me and get handsy with me. But this really speaks to how Bree needed somebody on this song who was going to have better chemistry with her. Not just in the video, but on the song. Giveon woulda been a good choice. As would have Gallant. But I get that both, whilst being good fits for the song, would not have given “Be the One” the reach that a Khalid feature provides. But other options for Bree could have been a K-pop artist. Wonho would have been a great choice; being somebody who would fit the song, but also help it go viral if he wears something tight which shows the titties. And then there is the hallyu, which still has K-pop acts continuing to make an impact of charts worldwide.

“Be the One” is cute, but it doesn’t have the same impact as “Somebody Like You”. A song which deserved to be a smash and REALLY cross Bree over. It was of a sound and vibe that we don’t often see Black women in, much less rappers, which is what made it so striking to me. But maybe this is also why it didn’t really catch on.

Comments