Mashup: Kylie Minogue x Perfume - Can’t Get You Out of My Head

A pile of colourful floppy discs. With one pink disc with a label on it, which features the cover art of my Kylie Minogue x Perfume mashup. The cover art of which features a shot of Kylie Minogue in the final rooftop setup of her music video for “Can’t Get You Out of My Head”.

I’ve said a bunch of times that Nakata Yasutaka circa 2008 would have been a great fit for Kylie Minogue, given that so much of what he was producing at the time was of a similar vibe as her 2001 album Fever. A album which would become Kylie’s quintessential album and establish a new baseline for her sound and her look. The latter of which Amu Suzuki wasted no time in copying pulling inspiration from.

Perfume’s Game in particular had always had strong Kylie overtones to me. Particularly the song “Secret Secret”. And it’s all because of the post chorus reminding me so much Kylie’s smash “Can’t Get You Out of My Head”. So after so many years of thinking this, I finally decided to mash the two songs.

The version above is an edited version to match the performance. You can hear the full version here.

I don’t know why I’d never thought to do this mashup before. But me quickly making a short version of one for a video I posted to Twitter caught traction and had people asking me to make a full length version. I was reluctant at first, because I couldn’t hear how the full thing would work in my head, and I didn’t think it would be interesting enough as a full song. But once I started playing around and got what the structure should be, I said ‘Fuck it’ and made a full version. I made this a month ago and sat on it, because that’s how long it took for me to like it enough to share it.

Kylie. If you ever end up playing a show in Japan, perform this.

She’d probably make the news if she did. She’d certainly have the Perfume fandom talking. And maybe we’d finally get her and Nakata in the studio together.


🎛️ Other Perfume related mashups: Beyoncé x Perfume | Whitney x Perfume
💿 Kylie album reviews: Disco | Kylie Christmas | Kiss Me Once | Aphrodite | Fever

Comments