JoJo and Chika talk that talk 'bout dat "Sabotage" life

JoJo and Chika talk that talk 'bout dat "Sabotage" life | Random J Pop

JoJo sucker punched us all with "Joanna", now she's kicking us in the back of the leg with "Sabotage", whilst we're still keeling over from "Joanna".

The nerve of this bitch.

Based on the title of the song and the cover art, I thought this was going to be about sabotaging different situations or a song from the perspectvie of somebody who has had to deal with somebody that loves to sabotage shit. But nope. JoJo is out there telling the world' Yep. I'm the one that fucked it all up and sabotaged my own shit'.

I-


I had to listen to this song a couple of times, because there was a lot for me to take in on one listen.

First listen. I was just caught up in JoJo's vocals. The changes that have occurred to her voice over the years in conjunction with the way in which she sings makes my hairline recede. JoJo has always been an amazing singer from a very young age. I'd put her in the same bracket as Brandy and Jazmine Sullivan, as young girls who just had the SANGIN' know how at an early age. And much like these ladies, JoJo has not only honed the craft of singing with feeling, but not confusing technicality with emotion. Some singers just sing loud, sing big and run about the place because they can. But JoJo grew out of that a good while ago and she sounds better for it. There's more emotion in her voice now and I fucking love it, because it sells the likes of this and "Joanna" so much more than if she just gave us technical excellence, but no heart - which were criticisms that Whitney and Mariah faced at points in their careers. And even with JoJo not even giving us a fraction of what she can really do vocally, you can still tell the bitch can sing.

Selena Gomez wishes.

Second listen. I got more into the vibe and lyrics. As with "Joanna", JoJo be giving us truth bombs about life shit. I know my ass can relate to times where I've sabotaged relationships and not realised it until it's over and I'm like 'Oh, that was m- Okay.'

This soulful R&B tip is what I was sorely missing on Mad love, which felt very by numbers sonically. I was so disappointed to hear an album that sounded like some Zara Larsson and Fifth Harmony type shit, because JoJo is better than them, that, all of it. "Edibles" and "Reckless" were probably the closet we got to anything remotely like "Sabotage". So if this is the direction she leans  into for her upcoming album than I'm on board. But it's JoJo. So I'mma be on board regardless.

Toot-toot bitch.

๐Ÿ’ฟ Special edition: JoJo - The inbetween | Unreleased JoJo
๐Ÿ“ Reviews: Can't take that away from me | #LoveJo

Comments