Flashback Friday: Akina Nakamori - Desire | a Fantôme wig of the past


I want to talk about Japanese Pop star Akina Nakamori. I can tell you now there will be more posts on this woman and her serves during the 80s. But for now, I want focus on her live performance of her 1986 Oricon number 1 hit "Desire".

"Desire" isn't my favourite Akina Nakamori song. But one particular performance of it is what drew me to it, because Akina served A CONCEPT.


Akina said 'Bitch, I'mma give them Virtua Fighter, Takeshi's Castle, Period drama, Tekken, vibrato that bitches at Avex will try to imitate, and a wig that one of the biggest Japanese music artists of the 2000s will wear for her comeback and leave everybody gagged'. Akina saw the entire future J-Pop timeline.

It's always interesting to me watching old J-Pop performances and listening to songs from the 80s, because it really does show that whilst J-Pop has changed in many ways, it's also not really changed at all.

Comments