Yebba gives Tarantino and James Bond tease in her song "Boomerang"

Yebba gives Tarantino and James Bond tease in her song "Boomerang" | Random J Pop

Yebba is somebody I have been following from before she even went by the name Yebba, and was just Abbey. I first came across her in 2015 via a cover that the group Thirdstory did of Britney Spears' "Lucky", in which a pre Yebba featured and hit a run that left me bald and breathless.

From that performance I willingly fell into a rabbit hole of Yebba's covers and have followed her ever since. But I will admit. She lost me a little when she first started putting out original material. The problem was (as is often the case with artists who come up via covers and transition into original material) is that her original material didn't hit the same way as her covers. Not that her songs were bad, but I felt some of the magic Yebba had when singing covers got lost in her original material; due to a combination of the material not being all that great, Yebba changing the way in which she sang to a degree and Yebba not really being able to settle on a sound that felt like a fit for her.

But then there was "Boomerang". The first song of hers that hits and ticks all of the boxes for me. Yebba sounds great. The song is great. The vibe is great. The whole thing is just fucking great.

Yebba has released some nice songs over the years, but this is the first which has top 10 chart smash potential. If Quentin Tarantino or the James Bond people don't holla at Yebba for a song, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yebba's debut album Dawn releases on September 10.

Comments