Mashup: BoA x BoA - Black Emptiness

A pile of colourful floppy discs. With one pink disc with a label on it, which features the cover art of my BoA x BoA mashup. The cover art of which features a black and white shot of BoA sat on a bed holding a lamp which looks like an apple.

As many fans clocked when they first heard “Emptiness”, the song sounds A LOT like BoA’s 2019 Starry Night cut “Black”—which was one of my favourites on that EP. “Emptiness” and “Black” sound so much alike, that they are interchangeable. Like so...

When songs are interchangeable like this, sometimes I’m like ‘Pffft. This is lazy.’ Yes Ava Max. I am looking at you. But sometimes I’m like ‘Oh, this is kinda cool.’ It feels like revisiting a song. And when its with a song that I liked, wished had been a single or gotten more attention the first time around, it makes me feel like ‘Oh, they felt the same way about that song too’. Because I always felt that “Black” shoulda had a music video and that SM should have pushed it as a second song, kinda like how they did with “The Shadow” alongside “Only One”.

“Emptiness” is a really good song. “Black” was a really good song. But BoA releasing good songs doesn’t seem to be cutting it with enough of the current K-pop audience right now, which is a shame.



Comments