Crystal Kay to hit F5 on some oldies with a new remix EP, Refresh: One

The official promo shot for Crystal Kay’s remix EP, Refresh: One. Featuring a shot of Crystal backlit by a yellow moon which is glowing yellow like a sun at sunset.

So, Crystal Kay has announced a new EP titled Refresh: One, which is a remix EP. This announcement caught me off guard, because I thought we were doing new singles and a run up to a new studio album. But I guess not.

  1. What Time Is It (MXXWLL Remix)
  2. Teenage Universe (Jersey Girl Remix)
  3. That Girl (Starlight Remix)
  4. Kirakuni (DK Remix)

At first I was like ‘Gurl, why are we jumping back into older songs when your last single was an original song?’. But then I sat with this for a while. And the more I thought about it, the more I got excited about what the Refresh series could mean for Crystal Kay — in an ideal situation where Crystal and her team play it right.

So, here’s where I’ve landed.

It could be really cool if Crystal Kay put out a Refresh EP every year. These would not replace her studio album releases — although at this rate, I wonder if Crystal will ever release a follow a new studio album, given that it's been 8 years since her last. The Refresh EPs would just be annual releases to ensure that Crystal Kay is always putting music out. Because a huge issue with Crystal’s career right now is that her music releases have not been in any sort of regular cadence for quite some time. And the bigger the gaps between releases, the harder it becomes for her releases to do anything commercially. And between where Crystal’s career is right now and current audiences having the attention spans of goldfishes, she really needs a  steady stream of releases. Refresh is a great way to do this.

From a music perspective, Refresh is a really easy way for Crystal to milk her Sony catalog. Because let’s face it, most of these refreshes will be of songs from her Sony albums. But from a creative perspective, it also gives Crystal a chance to have songs from her Universal catalog be reworked into something which marries better with her Sony catalog or into something which aligns more with Crystal’s current musical preferences. Because I still have a hard time believing that all of the songs on Shine and For You were 100% reflective of Crystal’s own tastes.

Now, if Crystal and her team are really thinking ahead, they would start mapping out anniversary releases of albums. Vinyl sales are all the rage. Sony and Universal are going all in on vinyl for Hikaru Utada, and Crystal’s discography also happens to be split between the same record labels — so Crystal’s team could and should get in on that. Re-releasing older albums on vinyl for their anniversaries and coinciding them with a Refresh release which features flips of songs from the respective albums seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don’t want Crystal to become an act who is just milking her old material all of the time, because I do think she has more to offer when it comes to new and original material. But if pimping the old shit provides Crystal a path forward and becomes something which works and connects with old and new audiences, then it’s a good thing which is better than NO thing. And I’ll take it.

My only concern is that this first Refresh drop feels like Crystal’s team still doesn’t really know what they’re doing. Because to release a brand new original single and then a remix EP of older singles just doesn’t make sense to me. We really should have be about brand new songs. But instead we’re doing flips of old songs. And let's be real. We should have gotten Refresh: One back in 2024 or at LEAST 2025 to coincide with Crystal’s 25th anniversary promo. And it’s still crazy to me that we did not get a follow-up to I Sing ready to release as soon as Crystal Kay was revealed as a contestant on The Masked Singer — I Sing also being something which could have been a series for Crystal.

Girl, fire the whole marketing and management team.

Refresh is a GREAT idea. And the first being titled Refresh: One implies that we will be getting more. I just hope that we do actually get more and that Crystal’s team are really smart and strategic with how they release them. But I am glad that Crystal is still putting stuff out. Even if the releases feel a bit higgledy-piggledy.

Side note, I think the promo image / cover art is really cool. I’mma need Crystal to stay with this theme and creative direction for each Refresh release.

Refresh: One releases on 2nd October.


Comments