Troye Sivan likes to “Party”, boogie-woogie, dance with his baby and make the people cum together

A screenshot for the music video for “Party”, featuring a close-up shot of Troye Sivan wearing chainmail and armour.

Troye Sivan has released the second music video from his upcoming third studio album. And once again I am wondering if he shared a moodboard with Charli XCX. Because first we got the video for “She’s the Best” which felt very Music, Fashion, Film. He revealed the album cover for his album She’s the Best, which doesn’t feature him on it — the same way that the album cover for Music, Fashion, Film does not feature Charli XCX on it. And now we get “Party” which feels very Wuthering Heights-ey in places. Then there is Madonna announcing the “Danceteria” remix featuring Charli XCX and “Party” sampling a Madonna song. So, Troye is not ‘beating the allegations’ as the kids say.

I really, really like the video. It’s like a Game of Thrones version of the “Rush” video, which I think is great from a branding perspective. “Rush” still remains as one of Troye’s best music videos and you can see that it set the tone for his follow-up video for “Got Me Started”, his Gap commercial and also his tour. So it’s cool to see the vibe of it brought back and remixed.

I thought the video for “She’s the Best” was great. I mean, c’mon? Nicole Kidman? A celebration of women of all shapes, shades and ages? The whole thing looking like it was shot on film? Zero notes. But I do wonder whether it was the right choice to kick a new album cycle off with — especially after the success of “Rush”. I don’t know whether it was right or wrong, because I completely get the reluctance to go with “Party” first so people don’t immediately go ‘Oh, he’s trying to do “Rush” again’. But if this were a sentiment, then why record that song and shoot that video in the first place? I do not know. But what I do know, is that Troye Sivan is getting BUDGETS for these music videos.

A screenshot for the music video for “Party”, featuring Troye Sivan sat in a chair in a bedroom which has people and sheets strewn everywhere.
Troye Sivan - Party | Tokky’s Music / Interscope Records

The song? I’m not too keen on it. I like the production, but the use of the Madonna sample felt lazy and unnecessary. It doesn’t add anything to the song. And I think “Party” needed more lyrics and sung verses. Not every song needs these things. But I feel that this one did.


🎛️ ?J Extended Mix: Rush

Comments