Rina Sawayama releases her anthem for the othered, "Chosen Family"

Rina Sawayama releases her anthem for the othered, "Chosen Family" | Random J Pop

With the release of her debut album upon us, the heir to Pop royalty that is Rina Sawayama has lifted the lid on yet another song, titled "Chosen Family". Where-as the titles of her previous two songs didn't make the subject matter obvious, "Chosen Family" does what it says on the tin. Or jacket, rather.


Rina gives us another song which sounds unlike any of her other Sawayama releases and delivers. Rina really does have the range. But her fans been knew that.

"Chosen Family" is a nice song. I'm sure that many of Rina's fans who feel 'othered' because of their sexuality, their race, their gender identity, their hobbies, their geekery and all of the above will connect to this song and feel like it's giving them a hug.

However.

I wanted more from this song. When I was done listening to "STFU!", "Comme des Garçons (Like The Boys)" and "XS" I felt like they gave me everything and I needed nothing more. With "Chosen Family" I feel like there just needed to be a little more to it. I wanted more in the way of vocal production. I wanted a big ol' choir section. I wanted the last minute of the song to be overblown. Maybe even a key change. I wanted this shit to serve me Michael Jackson's "Say You'll Be There".

"Chosen Family" is still a good song. I just feel that there was room for it to be even bigger and fuller, for it to be better placed as a quintessential anthem for the othered that would exceed Rina's fanbase and be used in TV commercials, TV shows, films, etc.

🎛️ This is the remix: Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys) featuring Pabllo Vittar
🎧 This is the original: Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys)
📺 These are the music videos: STFU!Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys)
📝 This is the EP review: Rina
🔊 This is the playlist: This is Rina Sawayama

Comments