Hikaru Utada and Suntory quench thirsts with a new song, "Dare Ni Mo Iwanai"

Hikaru Utada and Suntory quench thirsts with a new song, "Dare Ni Mo Iwanai" | Random J Pop

Hikaru Utada said 'Bitch. You ain't getting one song in May. You're getting TWO!'. And Suntory said 'If y'all gon' be staying home, you best buy dis Hikaru Utada endorsed water'.

"Dare Ni Mo Iwanai" will release after "Time" on May 29th. An interesting choice to not just double A-side the two songs together, not that it matters much.


I wasn't keen on Hikaru's previous bottled water songs "Ōzora de Dakishimete" or "Play a Love Song", but "Dare Ni Mo Iwanai" sounds really nice and is consistent with the sound of "Time".

I'm not going to lobby any type of guess as to what Hikaru Utada's inevitable eight studio album is going to sound like. Not since First Love has a single one of Hikaru's Japanese studio albums stuck to one particular sound anyway. I just want the album to be good and be memorable as a whole. I liked Hatsukoi. But as time has gone on, I've found it to be the least memorable of her albums, despite it features songs that I love. I play the album title track ALL of the time, but I even detach that from the album despite it sharing the title track. And as much as I liked Fantôme for pushing Hikaru's sound, I can't separate the album from it being her long awaited comeback, which is what I remember it more than the music.

Some keen fan has already updated the album discography section of Hikaru Utada's Wikipedia page with '2020: TBA'. A new album this year would make sense in the wake of these new songs surfacing now. But given that these songs are tied to products, their releases were locked down way in advance. So, if there was a plan to drop an album this year, then the pandemic will surely see to the delay of those plans, even if the album wasn't due to drop until the end of the year. But we'll see.

🔊 Playlists: Hikaru Utada: Ballads | Hikaru Utada: R&B | Hikaru Utada: Bops | Slaykaru Queentada 
📝 Album reviews: DistanceDeep river | Exodus | Ultra blue | Heart station | This is the one | Fantôme | Hatsukoi

Comments