Mashup: Beyoncé x Danny Tenaglia - Cozy

A pile of colourful floppy discs. With one pink disc with a label on it, which features the cover art of my Beyoncé x Jessie Ware mashup. The cover art of which features a shot of Beyoncé wearing a black and white outfit from the Balmain Renaissance couture collection.

Listening to Renaissance was definitely an experience for me, because I wasn’t sold on it at all when I first heard it. And whilst I did come around and realise it was actually a great album and Beyoncé’s best, even now, my ranking of songs continually shifts. “Virgo’s Groove” never budges from the top spot. But everything else shifts pretty frequently.

“Cozy” was always quite high on my ranking, because I really like the beat. I’m so into vouging right now, so the energy and tempo of the song makes it something that’s fun to vogue to; even though most wouldn’t immediately associate “Cozy” as a song on the album you can vogue down to, because of “Pure/Honey” explicitly serving that purpose.

But another song in the world which isn’t defined as a voguing song per se, yet I’ve found fun to vogue to is Danny Tenaglia and Celeda’s “Music Is the Answer”. And fun fact. I was introduced to this song by somebody from the House of Ninja.

Song length has become somewhat of a topic in this day and age of songs now regularly having runtimes of 2 minutes and 30 odd seconds. Well, lemme tell you something. The full version of “Music Is the Answer” is 14 minutes long. And bitch, I listen to every second of it. Well, actually, that’s a lie, because I always end up running it back long before the song ends. And here‘s the thing about this song. It is repetitious as hell. Sure, there are small changes which occur over the course of those 14 minutes. But it’s the same bassline and groove throughout. And yet it never gets boring or tired, because the groove is just that good. You just want to move the entire time and not want it to end.

As is the case with pretty much all of my mashups, there was no thought process which went into putting “Cozy” and “Music Is The Answer” songs together. It was just something which came to me, with all the parallels and what-not only come to me after.


Comments