My name is Hikaru. Mys. Utada if ya nasty.

My name is Hikaru. Mx. Utada if ya nasty. | Random J Pop

Hikaru Utada released a new single a few weeks ago, but of course that's not what her latest Instagram post is about, because she don't give a fuck about no music promo. She probabaly forgot she had a song coming out and is over it already.

The ever open and considerate Hikaru Utada took the time to post about suffixes. She wrote...

I’m sick of being asked if I’m “Miss or Missus” or choosing between “Miss/Mrs/Ms” for everyday things😩 It makes me uncomfortable to be identified so markedly by my marital status or sex, and I don’t relate to any of those prefixes. Every time, I feel like I’m forced to misrepresent myself. I long for an alternative option, one that anybody of any gender or social standing could use. ...After writing thus far I looked it up and discovered that “Mx.” (pronounced as “mix”) has been suggested! That’s awesome and I hope it becomes more widely used. I’m afraid my idea for a neutral prefix has come too late...

I'm sure that there are many women who feel the exact same way in regards to this. It's once again another instance where women are made to make a choice and disclose a level of information that men do not - which then can lead to judgement or changes in how they are treated.

And as a side note, only women have to be concerned with 'Do I take my husbands name? Do I change my name and title across all of my legal documents and professional correspondence?'. Men don't have to be fussed with ANY of this shit. They stay as Mr., they keep their own surname, and that's it.

Hikaru Utada has said that she's afraid that her idea for a neutral prefix has come too late, but it's never too late. It feels like a conversation which is right on time, as more light starts to be shed on the spectrum of gender identity, pronouns and titles, and how we better represent everybody.

💿 Reviewtada: One Last Kiss | Dare ni mo Iwanai | TimeHatsukoi | Fantôme | This is the One | Heart StationUltra Blue | Exodus | Deep River | Distance | First Love

🎧 Playlistada: Slaykaru Queentada | Hikaru Utada: R&B | Hikaru Utada: Ballads | Hikaru Utada: Bops | Hikaru Utada: Remixes

Comments