Victoria Monét hearkens back to the fly music videos of the early 2000s, with “Alright”. And she might have delivered a masterpiece.

A screenshot from Victoria Monét’s music video for “Alright”. Featuring her in a silver bodysuit, low lit, with her eyes glowing piercing blue.

Everybody who has listened to Victoria Monét’s debut album Jaguar II knows that “Alright” is THE song of the album. Widely considered a fan favourite. It doesn’t fit the album for shit. But Kaytranada was in his Fjällräven, and it is truly a great song which many agreed back then should become a single. The Grammys felt like the line drawn under Jaguar II, much to my dismay. Because give despite Victoria having already toured the album and won Grammys for it, I still felt Jaguar II had a couple more singles in it. And Victoria’s popularity had soared so much between the release of Jaguar II and her Grammy wins, that it seemed a shame to me not capitalise on her larger platform to release additional singles, and help Jaguar II reach an even wider audience.

Well, I guess she seemed to think so too. Because we got a surprise announcement that “Alright” would be getting itself a music video. Impeccable timing, as Kaytranada had just released his new album and we head into Summer.

Victoria Monét has always delivered damn good music videos. And even her lyric videos were music videos. (I feel like we overlooked how good that “Party Girls” video was. And “Moment” never got its moment). But even I was no prepared for what Victoria would pull outta the Birkin for “Alright”.

I’mma just say it. This video is a masterpiece.

She gave me Janet.
She gave me Avatar.
She gave me Beyoncé.
She gave me Namie Amuro.
She gave me Perfume.
She gave me more Janet.
She gave me Hype Williams.
She gave me Michael.
She gave me Doctor Strange.
She gave me Janet again.

Even when Victoria no budget, and all she had was her homegirls, a Samsung Galaxy, a bodysuit and a florescent tube light from The Home Depot—she made that shit work and delivered something cool. You could always see that Victoria Monét took pride in her music videos and saw the importance of them—laying out some of her influences clearly in each of them. Janet Jackson. Michael Jackson. Aaliyah. Beyoncé. All of whom are known for their music videos as equally as for their music, and they’re all paid some form of homage in the music video for “Alright”. And in my opinion, “Alright” can stand head and shoulders against some of their best videos.

A screenshot from Victoria Monét’s music video for “Alright”. Featuring her in a suit, remisncent of Michael Jackson (and Janet Jackson in her music video for “Alright”), amidst a bunch of blue lasers.
Victoria Monét - Alright | Directed by Dave Meyers

This music video is also a full circle moment for Victoria. Finally being able to release a big, glossy, super shiny music video befitting and deserving of the star that many of us always knew she was. But now the whole world can see it at a time when she is shining brightly, and her circumstances and situation is finally able to match her vision.

I don’t even know a bitch, but I feel so happy for Victoria. I just hope in this age of things moving so quickly, that this music video isn’t something that people just move on from. Because it is such a great video which hearkens back to the days when artists put real effort into their music videos to deliver a spectacle and moments—something which I feel is starting to make a comeback in pop and R&B.

We really do need chart music shows and weekly music shows back, so there are platforms other than YouTube for music videos to be shown and spotlit.



💿 Album reviews: Jaguar | Jaguar II

📺 Music videos: Party Girls | Smoke | Coastin’ | Jaguar | Experience | Moment | Ass Like That

Comments