Perfume give their first televised performance of “Spinning World” on NHK Songs

An overhead shot of Perfume performing “Spinning World” on NHK Songs.

For their first televised performance of “Spinning World”, Perfume didn’t do Music Station. They didn’t do CDTV Live! Live!. Amuse said ‘No, bitch. We are going to NHK Songs. Nakata actually gave y’all a good song, and you’re gonna spin to it on that nice-ass stage and give the people of Japan production and good camera work.’

The music video for “Spinning World” was pretty flat, but I liked what I saw of the choreography. But having now seen it all in full, this might be one of my favourite Perfume routines. This entire performance made me like “Spinning World” a whole lot more, and really showcased what puts Perfume on another level to other groups when it comes to performances. It continually astounds me how Perfume are able to hit every single mark and every formation, with such an innate sense of spatial awareness of not just themselves, but one another. Although there was one moment where Nocchi span and it looked like she may have overshot by a step, and a-chan turned to the side to make sure she could adjust her placement. But it’s not a moment you’d notice unless you were running this performance back the way I have been. My clumsy ass wouldn’t even be able to do one spin without fucking everything up, let alone spin into a formation.

When I tell you I was SHOCKED to see Perfume in a red boot to match the outfits. I was so so sure Perfume would bring out those black, clumpy ass “Mugen mirai” ankle boots.

Something I noticed as I watched this performance of “Spinning World” for the 16rd time, is that there seems to be a really specific form of movement language when it comes to the songs on Plasma. Mikiko has a distinct style, which goes across all of Perfume’s choreography. But even with this, it’s still noticeable to me that all of their routines from “Nananananairo” share a movement language which feels slightly different to everything Perfume have done before, whilst also referencing older routines. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it’s really cool to see.

Perfume also performed “Flow”. But we got the album cover outfits. Not the fashion gurl looks.

Now that I think about it, Perfume didn’t promote “Flow” all that much. It kinda just came and went. Just like “Time Warp”. So I guess they didn’t like it. It might explain why they were only in the latter part of the music video. a-chan said ‘I’ll shoot from 6pm ‘til 6:30pm. Y’all gon’ have to make something work if you don’t get the footage that you need. 3D body scans? Nope. Go talk to Manabe-san.’

Perfume are known for the spectacle of their stage performances, but these performances were a nice reminder that even with nothing but good lighting and a chandelier, they can still give a captivating performance. And it helps that in this instance one of the performances was of a good song which hearkens back their earlier ‘cooler’ sound, and another which is different for them.

NHK Songs has one of the best televised performance stage setups I think I’ve seen. And the camera work is always good. It’s rare that you get a bad performance on NHK Songs.



💽 Revised editions: Perfume’s albums, re-sequenced
🎚️ A mashup: Whitney Houston x Perfume
🎛️ Perfume megamixes: Cosmic Explorer megamix | LEVEL3 megamix | Game megamix
🎧 Playlists: The Rest “P Cubed” | Perfume Pussy Poppers
💿 Single & album reviews: Flow | Polygon Wave EP | Polygon WaveThe Best “P Cubed” | Future Pop | Cosmic Explorer | LEVEL3 | JPN | Triangle | Game | Complete Best

Comments