Mashup: Janet Jackson x Riize - Alright

A pile of colourful floppy discs. With one pink disc with a label on it, which features the cover art for the Janet Jackson x Riize Random J Mashup. The cover art of which features a black and white shot of Jackson, which is the same shot which features on the official cover for the single “Alright”.

A mashup featuring Janet Jackson and some K-pop. Unsurprisingly, a good fit. Because Janet’s imprint is all over a whole lotta K-pop. And having said that, I am transported back to a moment where a K-pop fan had the nerve to talk out the side of their mouth about Jackson. Some of these kids do not be knowing their history. [Shakes head].

As always with these mashup posts, I try to dig into my memory of how this mashup came about. And as always, there isn’t much of a story. It kinda just...happened.

I originally uploaded this around the time Victoria Monét had release her amazing music video for “Alright”, which also paid homage to Jackson’s song of the same name. Maybe a mashup of Jackson and Monét’s songs woulda been the most obvious choice. And yet, doing it never occurred to me until only recently. The most obvious ideas are usually the ones which elude me. Also, a mashup of Jackson’s “Alright” and Monét’s “Alright” is so obvious, that I’m sure if I were to search YouTube now, I’d see that a bunch of folk have already done it. So y’all gon’ have to make do with a Jackson and Riize mashup from me for now.

It’s a shame SM Entertainment aren’t doing more with Riize. Their sound, music video aesthetic and choreography style feels very similar to what SHINee’s once was. Everything about “Impossible” sounds like a SHINee song to me. And given how SHINee have slowed right down and SM are always about replacing groups, it’d make sense for them to push Riize to fill that void.


Comments